Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I Think I May Have Met a Celebrity...

BUT..I'm not sure!!!

This ALWAYS happens to me!!!! Always! And this is the 2nd time in the same city!!!
Either I run into a celebrity but didn't even know that he/she was one...or...I run into one, even have a pleasant conversation with him/her, but then have no camera to forever remember that moment and rub it in the face of my friends!!! Life is SO unfair!

So I was in L.A. (L.A.!!! o.k. but that's for a whole 'nother post!) recently and attending a certain family desi function. I happened to be sitting at one of the front tables right near the stage, the center of the hall, and near the mcees. So the mcees for the night were these 2 desi men who walked on stage with some strut and style and proceeded to put on some skits and give mini-speeches. And they were HILARIOUS. No really. They were good. And good to look at too ;) Which is not always the case in certain desi functions, especially family-related ones (both the mceeing and the looks!).

These two managed to connect with the audience and ran the program along smoothly in a timely manner with their random comments and witty banter during periods of technology difficulties (isn't that always the case!) and long, boring, unimpressive speeches by people who should really not be speaking in public to begin with (sorry, but its true! You know what I'm talkin' about!).

So while I'm sitting there listening to these mcees, I'm thinkin' Damn!! Who are these people? (I didn't manage to get their names when announced at the beginning, and no one at my table knew either). Usually non-professional desi events don't have the strongest of mcees and certainly not the funniest. So I was quite impressed.

Even more impressive, was the fact that one of the mcees looked awfully familiar. Like I had seen or heard about him before somewhere, but couldn't imagine where. Afterall, this was freakin' L.A where everyone is practically a celebrity or acts like he or she is one. But I've spent practically all of my life in the Midwest (Holla!!!) so there was no chance I somehow knew this guy (although, it has to be said that there's like 2 degrees of separation between all of us Gujjus in America.)

I didn't know this guy, had never met him before, but for the life of me, knew that there was something about him that I couldn't quite pinpoint. Lo and Behold, the evening flew by, my face hurt from laughter, and before I could even finish my lassi or grab a spoon of dal makhani, these boys seemed to have disappeared. I couldn't find them anywhere afterwards and sadly, didn't even see them on the dance floor bustin' some moves :( !!!

Who was this guy and where did he come from!!!! Talk about using your connections! Where, how, when, did my extended family find this guy!!!!
It was driving me insane...

So after a few days, when I returned back home in the flat, cold, cloudly Midwest, I happened to be checking one of my older emails that I had gotten but never opened. It was an email describing a new start-up desi clothing business and had a link to their website. I clicked on the link and was perusing their website in hopes of finding what was so cool about this new clothing line. One of the links on the webpage was to a page with photos of desi celebrities wearing the clothing at various parties and events and showin' some love towards this new product. A rather direct, convincing marketing tool to say hey "if Kal Penn wears this, so should you!" (add big cheesey smile here with several thumbs up actions!!!) . Well, as I'm looking through the pictures, there, right in the center of the webpage, is the photo of a desi hip-hop group reppin' the t-shirts. And I think my MYSTERY MCEE DUDE was in it!!!!!! He was in the hip-hop group!!!! I'm pretty sure it's the SAME GUY! How could I have not known that! Geez...I'm totally missin' out on my street cred these days.

I had so heard about this guy and read about him in other features! If I'm right (and I'm pretty sure I am), Mr. Funny Mcee Dude is huge in Cali and is a rapper, musician, comedian, and apparently also an mcee on his down time at random desi events that I attend!!!! How cool is that!!! Meeting a random desi celebrity (hard and rare enough as that is!) while I'm in L.A, at a big (but not nessarily huge or well-known) desi event, a family event no less, and who was standing just a few inches away from me! What was the likelihood! And to think that if I had only paid attention to those damn youtube videos and random magazine articles of him beforehand, I could have known all along who this cool dude was for sure and might have even got a picture as proof for this long-winded blog post.

I mean DAMN! I so could have met a celebrity! And that's important stuff people! Who cares about studying, helping others, getting a career and all that, when you can MEET a celebrity!!!!

Sigh. Next time, people, next time. Whenever I go back to L.A. again, I'm keeping my camera with me at ALL times. In L.A., you never know who you're going to run into. Even with random aunties and uncles. And I swear, I WILL make sure that there are some photos with celebrities.
Photoshopped or not!! ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home