Thursday, April 06, 2006

Please Read This!

I read this at 4pm. Not the greatest of ideas on a busy workday. This resulted in almost zero productivity at work for the next hour as I remained numb, overwhelmed, and a whole slew of emotions came over me. Then, realizing that I didn't want to live in my cube for the rest of the night, I tried to crank out some stuff, but well, let's just say, nothing was really accomplished. But whatever you do today, I urge you to please read this post! It is intense, powerful, and emotional. Regardless of what age, sex, religion, race, class, or nationality you are, just read this. Really. Just wow.

I realized that if I was in her place, I probably would have many of the same choices, given people benefit of the doubt, and really believed in the goodness of strangers. And then, to be so violated. Worst of all, is the feeling of guilt, the feeling that somehow you are to blame and that it was your fault. And then, to consider how your family, friends, peers, and others will treat you and look at you from that point on. I only hope that I could be there for someone if something like this happened to him/her. Indeed, we are not alone. Let us all provide the support, trust, faith, and strengh to all of our sisters and brothers who have been hurt. And let's get it out in the open and discuss it. And then, do something and help others. No woman should feel alone, guilty, and tainted by others because of this awful act. Anyways, my comments aren't doing any justice to it. Just read it.

PS: Also, please refer here for ways to volunteer, to get a list of helpful organizations, and to learn more about other agencies that are reaching out to members of the South-Asian community as well as all others to increase awareness and provide support to victims. In particular, right here in Chicago, we have a great resource in Apna Ghar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home