Thursday, April 20, 2006

Lying Low

So..sorry about the long withdrawal from blogging. I've been lying low. I'm trying to make some future life decisions and I'm procrastinating them by watching lots of tv, surfing way too much on the internet, listening to random bands, and contemplating if working out a lot tomorrow (or maybe the following day OR maybe over the weekend for..like..a few hours) will make up for not working out all week;) I know,I know, I'm so LAZY! Oh well, I figure, since I didn't really get a "true" senior spring break, I'll just extend my break over a few weeks. Yeah, I'll keep telling myself that. But...I wasn't a complete bum. I just finished this great book in one day. That's right my friends, you've read that correctly. ONE DAY! All 300-some pages of it. Nothing new for an English minor, but in my defense, the book was just so good, I couldn't put it down! Funny Boy, by Shyam Selvadurai is a a really good book, but it's really sad too. I wouldn't call this a fun, light read, especially during a break. It's about a young boy growing up in Sri Lanka, amid all of the political violence and conflicts between the Tamil Tigers and Sinhalese. It's also one of those books that resonates with you even after you've finished because you keep thinking about the plot, the characters, and the themes and the emotionial impact of it all. I find that those are some of the best books I've ever read. I don't want to give too much of it away, because I really liked it and I want to recommend it to you all to read. It's very engrossing, and all of the characters are so complex and vivid. It brought back some memories of my own childhood and playing with other children who were sometimes very cliquey and ruthless, but also innocent and naive and blindly believing whatever their parents told them as many kids do while growing, before making their own choices and coming to terms with their own beliefs. It also reminded me of getting annoyed with overly protective and overbearing aunties who were really nosy and always wanted to compare their children or glorify all of their children's achievements and abilities to everyone else when they came over to the house. Anyway, it's very-well written, relatable, and consuming as you follow this boy's life. I also, really enjoyed learning more about Sri Lanka, its languages, people, culture, and politics, not only from the book but also from subsequent research. So...my "break" wasn't completey unproductive. But, no worries, summer is just around the corner and procrastination and laziness has never been a problem for me :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home