Friday, April 14, 2006

Huh?? My Dad was right??!!!!!!

Hah,
Apparently I did choose the "right" major for me!


Your Scholastic Strength Is Evaluating
You are great at looking at many details and putting them all together are talented at detecting subtle trends, accuracy, and managing change.
You should major in:
Statistics Speech Conflict studies Communication Finance Medicine

What Should You Major In?



Ummm...does this mean I lived up to my dad's potential of getting a business degree and should now make my mom finally proud of me by going to MED school!
Oh, The Horror! The Horror!
I guess I have no idea what is good for me and should now proceed to be the typical, good Indian daughter and deny my liberal arts interests including any hopes of a career in journalism or law!




Your Career Type: Social
You are helpful, friendly, and trustworthy talents lie in teaching, nursing, giving information, and solving social problems.
You would make an excellent:
Counselor - Dental Hygienist - LibrarianNurse - Parole Officer - Personal TrainerPhysical Therapist - Social Worker - Teacher
The worst career options for your are realistic careers, like truck driver or farmer.

What's" Your Ideal Career?


Of course these are just trivial quizzes, but I always find it funny, how Tanvi, who is a math genius (no really, she's got that secret desi math power gene that apparently was never passed down to me!) wants to be a sociology/"frou-frou" major. And then there's me, with my few math abilities, and a finance degree (don't ask how I did it, although I continue to be amazed by the fact that I actually graduated and got pretty decent grades) wishing that I was a little better at math, science, or related subjects so it would be easier for me to choose a "practical, secure" career and feel normal and make my parents proud. I always find it interesting how we wish to be others, or have the abilities/talents that others have and we are never satisfied with our own. And yet, math and those related subjects are not my best academic areas or my interests and I always find my way back into those liberal arts classes like history, English, Political Science, Anthropology, Sociology, etc. Also, it's funny how Tanvi is a math major, and from what I know of her, also enjoys math, but wants a career in a different sector. And while I survived my major and at some points found it interesting, I was never truly passionate about it, and yet I find myself following that "practical" path and working away in my cubicle.

This is a topic that is so cliche and recognized often, especially in our South-Asian circles, of following a "traditional" career, but I am continually inspired by all those who take their talents, interests, skills, education, and circumstances and turn it into a fulfilling, challenging, and successful career. Many times, they try their hand at a traditional career, only to later on revert back to their original passions. It's so often talked about and shown in movies though (even if we all complain that it's about time we moved on from the whole "career/identity/what will my parents think" themes) , because no matter how cliche it is, it's still true and is still of significance!!


In another blog site, a blogger aptly described what's inspiring about these people who do end up doing amazing things: "the drive to live for one's dreams (not in a world that is limited by conventions or other people's notions of "what is right")."

Here's hoping Tanvi and I will someday live out our dreams and hey, if nothing else, I can "evaluate" while she can "inspire people" and together we can have "social" career paths and live in our own dreamy, utopian "frou-frou" world!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home