Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Oscar Rant

So this is a few days late. But did any of you (read: all of like the 2 people who actually read this) watch the Oscars on Sunday? Before you read on, please note: Rant Alert!

Boring-Hell yes. But it did have its moments of weirdness. Like what was up with the whole montage bit every freakin' five minutes! No one cares to see how many movies Hollywood has made based on biographies or on westerns or whatever else they decided to show a montage on. I'm glad Jon Stewart actually made a joke on it because after about the 10th montage, it was just absurd. The only montage I actually cared about was the one that showed movies which were "relevant" issues (aka about politics, social justice, racism, etc). And even that wasn't necessary. I just liked it because I wanted to know if I could name all the clips or not in that segment.

Jon Stewart. It really really hurts me to say this, and even though it still has not tarnished my image of him, I don't think he was at his best. After the extremely funny opening video about everyone else turning down the hosting gig, the rest of his bit was just not funny. Sure he pulled out his insults immediately, but they didn't fly and I just felt like it wasn't him. It was just too planned and rehearsed. However, he was extremely witty and quick when he was improvising like when he made the joke about pulling down the "Oscar statue" in an attempt to help democracy flourish in Hollywood. Or when he mentioned that maybe it was easier for a pimp out here after all, after the song, "Its hard out here for a pimp" won the oscar. That's when he was at his best. I only wish there was more of that, and less of the easy giveaways and soft humor.

Speaking of the hip-hop performace by Three 6 Mafia, I just thought the whole thing was hilarious and the climax of the show. I mean the performance was cool and all, but they had the weirdest dancers in the background. And when the camera scanned out into the audience, everyone just looked awestruck like, "Wow, are we really watching a rap performance in our extremely expensive, fugly outfits in a prestigious auditorium at what is supposedly the most glamourous night in the world??!!!!" It was especially great since it came after the slow, subtle number from Crash.

My favorite dresses (that I saw): Reese Witherspoon's and Sandra Bullock's. Although I was not too fond of Sandra's "Look, I have pockets in my dress" statement.
Favorite Male dress: George Clooney. No explanations necessary. And yes, he's old. GET OVER IT!

Ok end of rant! That's my extremely short, and very late opinion of the Oscars. Here's hoping the whole show is revamped next here and that Jon Stewart (if he hosts again) actually just improvises his whole comedy bit. I mean, it really can't get worse than this can it?

2 Comments:

At 3/12/2006 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree about George Clooney. That man in gorgeous! Who cares how old he is, his wit, his looks...all make up for it.

I didn't actually watch the Oscars, so I quite enjoyed the rant.

 
At 3/15/2006 9:15 AM, Blogger payal said...

Yay! Someone other than myself, actually reads what I write! You rock Gayatri:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home